Balamani Amma (1909–2004) was a Malayalee poet, and she was a well-known writer and she was affectionately called as Amma by her well-wishers and her admirers. Among her various works her two works, Mother and Grandmother are considered as very famous works. She has received the Padma Bhushan and various other awards. Her daughter is also a famous writer, and her name is Kamala Surayya.
Balamani Amma was born in the year 1909 to a pious Malayalee family at Thrissur district in Kerala. Through the guidance of poet Narayana Menon, she has become a great poet. Balamani Amma was married at her teenage to Nair, and after some time, she has become the managing director of Mathrubhumi, a popular Malayalam newspaper. Her husband died in the year 1977.
Balamani Amma published lot of devotional poems, and she mainly wrote poems in praise of Lord Guruvayurappan, and she is an ardent devotee of Lord Krishna.
She also wrote books for small children, and she was very fond of young children.
Balamani Amma died in the year 2004.
- Sthree Hridayam
- Avar Paadunnu
Some of the verses from her poems are as follows:-
- Oh! Lord Guruvayurappa! Come to my home, and play with me! I want to see your divine smile and your lovely face.
- The Dwaraka people have done good karmic deeds, since they had got the opportunity to have the glimpse of Lord Krishna.
- By reciting “KRISHNA, KRISHNA, KRISHNA”, all of our sufferings and sorrows would fly away.
- Krishna Bhakti is the only way to attain goodness in our lives.
- Lord Krishna is our guide, god and our holy guru.
- Oh! My Krishna! You have given lot of spiritual pleasure to men and women, and made them to reach your lotus feet.
- Oh Krishna! Your presence is there throughout this universe.
- The great saints like Tukaram, Meerabai and Namdev have attained salvation through your grace.
- Thinking about Lord Krishna would give great spiritual pleasure to our mind and body.